Basic Warranties vs. Enhanced SLAs
1. Basic Warranties
A common practice in the data center industry is to rely on the basic OEM warranties provided by the various equipment vendors. These warranties do provide a basic level of protection. There are, however, serious limitations to these warranties.
- Most OEM warranties only provide coverage for three years.With a typical data center life cycle of 10 years or more, there are often many items expected to last well beyond the OEM warranty. Should a data center opt for any extended warranty the OEM may offer, the cost is usually prohibitive and may require a sizable down-payment.
- The majority of OEM warranties often provide only the most basic onsite service, often falling short of what data centers need.
- OEM warranties often provide a one-size-fits-all approach, rather than a specific approach tailored to your needs.
- Even with the best of OEM warranties, the coverage will only apply to that particular OEM’s equipment, leaving you to deal with a variety of warranties and terms from any number of companies whose equipment may be in use.
2. Enhanced SLAs
In contrast to a basic warranty, an enhanced service level agreement (SLA) from a data center partner can provide the coverage and security that a data center needs to ensure maximum uptime. An enhanced SLA offers a number of advantages.
- In contrast to a basic warranty, an enhanced service level agreement (SLA) from a data center partner can provide the coverage and security that a data center needs to ensure maximum uptime. An enhanced SLA offers a number of advantages.
- Unlike OEM warranties, an enhanced SLA can extend far beyond what the equipment manufacturer considers to be the end-of-service lifetime of the product. An extended SLA is also far more cost effective than extending the OEM warranty, and offers flexible payment options rather than the standard three-year advance payment required by most OEMs.
- Whereas the OEM warranties offer only the most basic onsite technical support, an enhanced SLA provides onsite support 24/7/365.
- An enhanced SLA offers coverage tailored to your specific needs.
- One of the biggest benefits of an enhanced SLA is the coverage it provides a multi-vendor data center. Rather than dealing with individual OEM warranties and policies, you can have a single warranty covering any and all equipment in use.